Can you have an allergic reaction to CBD oil? We suggest you read up before you try CBD – especially if you already have food allergies or hay fever. Some people may experience an allergic reaction to CBD or to other ingredients in the CBD product. It is important to only buy high-quality CBD products to avoid possible allergic reactions.
An Allergic Reaction to CBD Oil… Is It Possible?
From itchy eyes to respiratory problems, allergies pose serious problems for many people. Unsurprisingly, most people try to avoid substances that cause these symptoms.
Like other plants and plant-based products, anecdotal evidence suggests it is possible to have an allergic reaction to CBD oil. However, this appears to depend largely on oil quality, terpene levels, and various supplementary ingredients that are in a product. Additionally, it’s worth pointing out that little research has been conducted on the topic, making conclusions difficult.
In this article, we’ll explore the possibility of CBD allergies and discuss several methods you can employ to try and avoid them.
The Basics of a CBD Allergy
Allergies are familiar to many people. They result in sneezing, itching, a runny nose, watery eyes, and sometimes difficulty breathing. But what actually causes these symptoms?
In most instances, the immune system is responsible for allergic reactions. Usually, this system can differentiate between harmful and non-harmful compounds. But sometimes it gets “confused.” When you have an allergy, the immune system identifies benign compounds as potential dangers. It creates antibodies to attack these invaders when in fact, antibodies form every time the body encounters the allergen.
Common food allergies include plant-based products like soy, wheat, and peanuts. Since hemp CBD extract is of course plant-based, this makes CBD a prime suspect when it comes to potential for an allergic reaction.
Can You Be Allergic To CBD?
There are a few potential reasons why CBD might cause allergies. Take a look at a few below.
Plant pollen is a common allergen, and as CBD formulations originate from hemp plants, some hypothesize this could cause a reaction.
However, only male hemp plants produce pollen. While industrial hemp fields grow a combination of male and female plants, most CBD oils originate from the female varieties of hemp. This is due to their cannabinoid-rich flowers.
Very little is known about the effect hemp pollen might have on CBD products. However, the combination of female hemp plants and a high-quality manufacturing process might eradicate its content.
Some research has discovered that terpenes may cause allergy symptoms. Specific compounds such as linalool and limonene, for instance, have been known to cause skin rashes. However, this is uncommon.
Since full-spectrum CBD products contain a range of terpenes, some users may find themselves sensitive to those oils in particular.
Hemp Seed Allergies
Many food allergies are caused by high-protein foods, as mentioned above. Hemp seed oil is a common base for CBD products, such as oral oils. When CBD is used in this way, it’s often refined to be 100% fat; lessening the chance of a reaction. However, there is still a risk of experiencing symptoms such as hives. Consumers with severe food allergies should always consult a doctor before considering using CBD.
Often it’s not the hemp itself that causes a reaction, but another ingredient entirely. Some CBD products contain a vast amount of ingredients that may contribute to allergy symptoms.
For example fragrances, parabens, artificial flavors, and alcohols are all examples of potential irritants. That’s why simplicity is often best, especially if you are sensitive to chemicals and more susceptible to allergies.
This ethos is something we celebrate at Premium Jane. Products like our Natural CBD oil are only made with full-spectrum hemp oil, MCT oil, and natural flavorings.
Tips for Avoiding CBD Allergies
- Always check the ingredient list: Reviewing a product’s ingredients list should always be the priority before purchasing, as this allows you to make sure there’s nothing in the product that you may be allergic to. If you find a brand that doesn’t publish its ingredients, this should be considered a warning sign. At Premium Jane, we publish complete ingredient lists for every product we sell.
- Take a look at lab sheets: The more information you can read about a product, the better. On certified lab reports, you can typically find a full breakdown of cannabinoid and terpene content. Other tests such as heavy metal, pesticide, and solvent content tests should also be accessible.
- Contact the company directly: If, after checking ingredient lists and the lab reports, you still feel uncertain about using a product, contact the company directly. Speaking one-on-one with a company representative will allow you to explain your concerns about a particular ingredient or product.
- Speak with a medical professional: For anyone worried about potential allergy symptoms, a doctor or physician should always be the first point of contact. They’ll be able to advise you on the safest products for you and your needs.
Final Thoughts on CBD Oil and Allergies
CBD allergies are rare, but there is a possibility they will occur. An excellent way to mitigate CBD reactions is to buy from a high-quality brand. In addition, always check the lab reports of a product to verify that there are no allergy-inducing contaminants.
People with pre-existing allergies should be especially careful. If you experience any allergy signs while smelling, touching, or consuming a product, you should immediately seek medical help.
We always recommend consulting a doctor about your allergies before deciding to try a CBD product.
Can You Have Allergic Reactions to CBD Oil Products?
The American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology research indicates that more than 50 million people in the United States experience allergies each year. It also says that allergies are the sixth leading cause of chronic illness. It is natural to ask if people experience CBD oil allergies because CBD and other compounds come from the hemp plant, and plants are often the cause of allergies. The answer is complicated because there is limited research coupled with the fact that CBD oil contains numerous compounds and usually other ingredients. The following sections discuss what is known about CBВ oil allergic reactions.
TLDR: Some people may experience an allergic reaction to CBD or to other ingredients in the CBD product. There is minimal research to date on the relationship between CBD and allergies. The allergic reaction may be due to something like terpenes, botanicals, and interactions with medications. It is important to only buy CBD products from companies that provide a Certificate of Analysis showing all the ingredients in the product.
Can You Be Allergic to CBD?
The quick answer to whether you can be allergic to CBD is “yes.” Some people may have an allergic reaction to CBD gummies, topicals, oils or any other product containing CBD. The issue is that people may think they are having an allergic reaction to CBD when it can be something else.
Another point to keep in mind is that some low-quality CBD products may not have all of the ingredients listed on the label or do not use quality-control procedures during the manufacturing process. You could have an allergic reaction and think it is due to CBD when it might be due to contaminants like pesticides or heavy metals.
What is an Allergy?
In simple terms, an allergy is the immune system’s reaction to what is perceived as harmful. The immune system produces immunoglobulin E antibodies in response to allergens. The symptoms are produced to make up for the allergic reaction. You can be allergic to drugs, food, mold, pollen, latex, insects and pet urine, dander or saliva.
Research on Allergies to CBD
There has been some limited research conducted on allergic reactions to CBD. Following are a few of the studies.
- A 2005 study on fragrance terpenes found that the terpenes linalool, limonene and caryophyllene are not allergenic but become allergenic when exposed to air. Since this was a fragrance study, study participants were tested with skin patches. Only 2.9 percent had a reaction, and 58 percent of them had a history of allergic reactions.
- A 2013 study reported in the Internal Archives of Allergy and Immunology said that 12 participants out of 21 people were allergic to cannabis. However, all 21 people had food allergies.
- A 2017 Duke University study reports that 20 percent of study participants experienced an allergic reaction to the terpene linalool. Another 8 percent were allergic to terpene limonene.
- A study in 2018 found that people who have allergies to things like plants, mold and other items have a greater risk of being allergic to cannabis. If something like pollen makes it into a CBD product, you might have an allergic reaction.
Potential Allergic Reactions
Any allergic reaction can lead to different symptoms. Some of the common ones include the following.
- Itchy, dry eyes
- Skin rash or blisters
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose
- Dry cough
- Sore throat
In other words, if there is a reaction to CBD oil products, the symptoms are likely to be similar to an allergic reaction to something like pollen. However, there is always the possibility of more severe reactions, so it is vital to take any symptom seriously. If you experience an allergic reaction, it is wise to see an immunologist and be allergy tested. If you are allergic to CBD oil, there is a good chance you have other allergies, like a food allergy or a plant allergy.
Keep in mind that an allergic reaction to CBD and experiencing side effects from using CBD are not the same. Side effects are physical reactions that do not include an immune system response. For example, diarrhea and fatigue are possible side effects.
Always Buy Quality Products
Some people may experience an allergic reaction to CBD oil products. It is always important to buy high-quality CBD products from companies with a reputation for honesty and transparency. Always review the Certificate of Analysis (COA) to learn about all the ingredients in the product.
Share this post
About the Author
Michael Levin is a CBD enthusiast, a researcher, writer and editor in the cannabis space, experienced CBD user and educator. He believes CBD can help improve our overall health and wellbeing.